Work permit

Work permit

Who gets a work permit?

In Switzerland there are basically two precepts: it is easier for prospective employees from EU/EFTA states to find work because of the agreements between Switzerland and the European Union (EU).


Prospective employees from all other states are only given a work permit if they are regarded as highly qualified workers who are urgently needed.


The website of the Swiss State Secretariat for Migration (SEM) tells you the requirements for obtaining a permit. The information is available in German, French, Italian and English.


The canton where you are living will use the above criteria to decide whether you are given a work permit. Please contact the Amt für Migration und Zivilrecht Graubünden (Grisons Office for Migration and Civil Law) for more information.